Monday, May 12, 2008

Travel update

We have heard from our agency that Monday's earthquake in China should not impact our travel plans. There was minor damage in Beijing, where we will spend our first 3 days, and no reports of damage yet in Guangzhou, where we spend the rest of our time and receive our daughter.

The earthquake was felt in Vietnam, so we expect it was also felt in Suixi City, where Jenny's SWI is located. No reports of damage, though.

Our excitement, nervousness and anticipation has been joined by sadness as the news reports more casualties, especially the loss of children. We feel closer to China than anytime in the past 3 years, and this brings the events of today home to us.

We'll try to post a quick one before we depart on Wednesday. We are really getting down to it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have been thinking of you, along with all of those families in China, as we got news of the quake. It does make the world smaller when you have a little one over there, doesn't it? Anyway, I'm thinking good thoughts for you and David and Jenny! Pax et bonum!

(peace and all good things!)

Kate

Anonymous said...

I was wondering about this too. I am glad you will able to go without any further delays. Good luck!

txkimmers

Jboo said...

Have a wonderful, amazing trip to your daughter.

Janet

Leonore Lee said...

I was also thinking of you and of Jenny when I heard the news. I am relieved to hear that she is ok and that your plans are still on. Deeply saddened to think of all the devastation and loss of lives in other areas. Have a safe trip.

Anonymous said...

K and D,

I'm soooo excited to discover your blog. I somehow missed the fact that it existed. Betty mentioned it to me yesterday and here I am. I didn't get your email with the address....and couldn't find it in my spam folder. Anyway, we are so thrilled to be sharing this amazing experience with you and can't wait to meet Jenny! What a beautiful little girl. I am assuming the cats are fine, as I haven't heard from Gerd but I have my running shoes on, should he need me to pinch hit.
China looks like an incredible experience. See you in about a week!!

Hugs, Lucy (and Mark!)
PS I didn't remember (or know) that your mom's name is Kitty....the same as my mom. I knew I really liked her!

Anonymous said...

]=[ vb bbbbbbb

this message was typed by Pikachoo. I think it says something about a babbbby!

Lucy